Tuesday 24 May 2011

Japanese Toilet Roulette

As many of you know, the Japanese are well known for their high-tech toilets. I can't say that I'm a fan. 

For a nation that prides itself on its sustainability it seems a little contradictory to be heating a toilet seat all day long, especially when it's 30 degrees outside. And to me a warm toilet seat just means that someone has recently spent a long time sitting on there before you... and that's not something I want to contemplate.

But my main issue with high-tech toilets is when their button functions are indistinguishable, forcing a game of Japanese toilet roulette. One such game I thankfully won in a public toilet on Sunday. Not finding a handle, or the flush working automatically I realised with some horror that I would have to randomly press buttons until it flushed, and hope that I didn't end up getting squirted with toilet water. The flush button was not as obvious as it should have been for us newbie Gaijin.
Toilet buttons, photo stolen from some other blog
Do you like how the bidet buttons for men and women show the water squirting at different angles? Hygienic!

No comments:

Post a Comment